In terms of the size of the orchestra can be divided into two kinds:
- Chamber orchestra, supported by 40 players or less.
- Full orchestra backed by 100 players. The formation is called a symphony or orchestra Philharmonic Hall.
- Inflatable Wood (wood wind) consisting of one piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboe, 2 clarinets bass, bassoon and 2. Additional instruments on this type is English horn (cor anglaise) and contrabassoon.
- Blow Metal (brass) consists of 2-8 French Horn, 2-5 trumpet, trombone 2 -3, 1-2 bass trombone, and a tuba.
- Percussion, each consisting of a timpani, snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, wood block, Tamborine, marimba, silofon, and a glokenspiel.
- Scratch consists of 16-30 violin, 8-12 viola, 8-12 violoncello and 5-8 contra bass.
Saxophone began to be used in the orchestra in the 19th century and into the 20th, as a solo instrument, but in the 20th century in the work of Romantik, Euphonium more widely used. And the instrument is playing the part marked "Tenor Tuba" as in The Planet's work and Ein Heldenleben Holts Strauss works. Not infrequently this style also played by other instruments.